Getting a Copy of an Accident Report in Rock Hill
If you were recently involved in a car accident in Rock Hill, you should have received a green FR-10 form from the police officer who responded to the crash. You must give this form to your insurance company as soon as possible – regardless of who was at fault. The insurance company must complete and send it to the S.C. Department of Transportation within 15 days of your accident in order to prove that you have proper liability insurance.
Typically, the same police officer will complete the investigation of your crash and submit the Traffic Collision Report Form (TR-310) to the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV). It usually takes only a few days for the officer to submit it.
You will want to get a copy of this report. It can contain a great deal of important information about your car accident, including:
- Date, time and location of the crash
- Name, address, driver’s license number and insurance company of each driver or pedestrian involved in the accident
- Estimated property damage (with a pictorial diagram)
- Basic information about the drivers and passengers (including whether they suffered injuries or wore seat belts)
- A description of the sequence of events
- Any alcohol or drug test results
- Other crash details (such as factors that likely contributed to the crash).
If you wish to get a copy of the report on your own, you can request a copy from the SCDMV. To do this, you need to complete the Request for Officer’s Report (Form FR-50). According to the SCDMV, you should try to include as much of the following on the form:
- Request date
- Your name and mailing address
- Date when your accident happened
- County where the crash occurred
- Names and driver’s license numbers of all driver’s involved.
After you fill it out, you must mail two copies of the form and a check or money order for $6 to:
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, S.C. 29016-0040
You can also go in person to the local Rock Hill SCDMV branch. You can go here to get directions and to see the average wait times. The branch is located at:
SCDMV – Rock Hill
305 Hands Mill Road
Rock Hill, S.C. 29732
Another way to get a copy of your crash report is to contact the law enforcement agency that responded to your crash and prepared the report. In the Rock Hill area, those agencies include:
Rock Hill Police Department
20 East Black Street
Rock Hill, S.C. 29730
York County Sheriff’s Office
1675-2A York Highway
York, S.C. 29745
C. Highway Patrol (Troop Four, Post B)
454 South Anderson Road, Suite 400
Rock Hill, S.C. 29730
Finally, you can ask a lawyer from Stewart Law Offices, to help you to get a copy of your accident report and to review it with you. To learn more, contact us today through our conveniently located Rock Hill office.