When you have been involved in an accident, you need stewart law offices
Car AccidentsFree & Confidential Consultation
South Carolina Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
Representing Hit and Run Accident Victims in South Carolina
A car accidentcan change your life. An already stressful, tragic situation can become even more complicated and frustrating when the driver responsible for the collision speeds off without exchanging contact or insurance information. In these situations, you may be wondering how you will get money to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses. Fortunately, other recovery options are available, and a legal professional can walk you through your options.
At Stewart Law Offices, our team is well-versed in how to strategically approach hit and run accidents and will work to facilitate an optimal outcome despite the unfortunate circumstances. Whenever possible, we will work to locate the negligent driver and hold them accountable for their actions through a personal injury claim. If we cannot find the other driver, our South Carolina hit and run accident lawyers can help you secure compensation through your insurance company. Your recovery is important to us, and we will treat you like family. With millions recovered for our clients*, our results also speak for themselves, so you can rest easy knowing your case is in good hands.
What to Do After a Hit & Run Accident in South Carolina
Typically, in the aftermath of a vehicular accident, you will make sure everyone involved is okay, summon the police to generate an official report, and exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. When the other driver flees before these important steps can be taken, they are doing more than making your life harder – they are also breaking the law. Leaving the scene of an accident when someone is injured is a crime in South Carolina.
After a hit and run accident, you should:
- Call 9-1-1. In South Carolina, you are required to report a car accident to the police when anyone sustains injuries, even if the other driver flees. Stay at the scene until the police arrive. The responding officer will create a report that will be an important part of your insurance claim.
- Write down any information you have about the other vehicle. You may only get a brief look at the fleeing vehicle, but, if at all possible, note the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number, a physical description of the driver, and any other identifying details. Give these details to the police and retain them for your records.
- Document the scene and flag any witnesses. Take pictures of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, and any road conditions that may have contributed to the accident. Try to get the contact information of anyone who saw what happened, especially if they got a better look at the vehicle, the license plate number, and/or the driver. You should also look out for any traffic or security cameras that may have captured the collision.
- See a doctor. Do not be afraid to go to a hospital directly after the collision if you are severely injured and need immediate care. If you are well enough to stay at the scene, you should still get a full medical examination as soon as you can. A medical professional may be able to identify injuries that are not immediately apparent. You also need to establish that your injuries were caused by the accident, which is why you should retain a copy of your medical records.
- Contact Stewart Law Offices. Our South Carolina hit and run accident attorneys can help you understand your options and manage communications with your insurance company.
You owe no legal fees unless we secure* a favorable settlement or verdict, so do not hesitate to schedule a free initial consultation by calling 803-408-7352 or contacting us online. We are available 24/7, and you will always discuss your case with an attorney, not a staff member. Se habla español.
Can I Get Compensation Even If the Other Driver Cannot Be Located?
If you were able to remember the other driver’s license plate number or a security camera has footage of the accident, the police may be able to track down the other driver and identify them. If this happens, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit in addition to any criminal charges the driver may face.
The reality is that, in many cases, a fleeing driver is never identified. You may not have had an opportunity to see the license plate number, or the crash may have occurred out of the view of nearby cameras.
You can still get compensation for damages if the other driver cannot be located, but you will need to get the money through your insurance company. Under state law, you are required to have uninsured motorist coverage, which can be triggered in hit-and-run accidents and provide the money you need to cover some or all of your losses.
Regardless of whether the other driver is caught, you must file an insurance claim with your provider. You must file a claim promptly, but, if possible, you should get guidance from a legal professional on what to say (and what not to say) before moving forward.
Never accept a settlement offer without first consulting a seasoned attorney. Your insurance company is not on your side and will often look to settle your claim for less than what you actually deserve. Your uninsured motorist policy should get you money for damages up to your policy’s limit, after a deductible. We can help you assert your rights and aggressively advocate for you if your insurer attempts to pay you less than what you are entitled to.
Our South Carolina hit and run accident lawyers will fight to get you fair compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
You do not have to navigate the insurance claims process alone after a hit and run accident. To learn more about what we can do for you, call 803-408-7352 or contact us online.
$9.8 Million Car Accident
$3.8 Million Wrongful Death
$3.5 Million Tractor-Trailer Accident
$3 Million Tractor-Trailer Accident
$1.6 Million Motorcycle Accident
“While my case had some quite odd turns of events, my attorney with Stewart Law Offices held firm and relentless. Stewart Law Offices will definitely go above and beyond and I’m truly grateful that they hung in there and fought for me.” - Rebecca P.
“I felt powerless and overwhelmed by the situation I was in. When I made the phone call to the Stewart Law office it changed everything!” - Andrew R.
“ fought like they were the ones who had their lives turned around till the end. Explained everything and included a few laughs. As I said an all-around great team of lawyers and a silver lining to a very bad experience!” - David J.