The holiday season is upon us, and many will be leaving town to spend time with their families. Whether you are traveling by plane, train, bus, or car, follow these tips from Stewart Law Offices to stay safe during your travels:
If you are driving…
1. Have your car and tires inspected before embarking on a long drive.
2. Check the weather forecast for your entire route so you know what to expect.
3. Make sure you are well-rested and alert. Stop every two hours to stretch your legs and get some fresh air.
4. Check that everyone has their seatbelts securely fastened before putting the car in gear.
5. Don’t travel without having an emergency kit and first aid supplies on hand.
6. Store your valuables out of sight in the trunk.
7. Bring activities, games, and books to keep your passengers entertained. If they are occupied, they are less likely to distract the driver.
8. Always pay attention to the road and never drive impaired.
If you are flying…
9. Give yourself enough time to arrive at the airport. There may be more traffic than usual during this time of the year.
10. Pay attention to the pre-flight safety briefing. While it may seem boring and unnecessary, the information they provide could save your life.
11. Whenever possible, book a nonstop flight. Since most accidents happen during the ascension and descension phases of the flight, flying direct will limit your risk.
12. Familiarize yourself with the TSA’s list of prohibited items to avoid any problems with security.
Other forms of transportation…
13. Have a personal emergency kit on hand that includes a cell phone, flashlight, batteries, medication, water, and snacks.
14. Inform a few friends or loved ones with your itinerary so they can notify someone if they don’t hear from you, or if something goes wrong.
15. Keep any valuable jewelry, electronics, and cash well-hidden.
Unfortunately, automobile accidents tend to spike during the holiday season. If you or your family has been seriously injured at the hands of someone else, you need to take action. The personal injury attorneys at Stewart Law Offices will work by your side to help secure the compensation you deserve. If you live in North Carolina or South Carolina, contact us online to get started with a free case evaluation, or call (866) 783-927.