What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage? - Stewart Law Offices
Tap To Call: 1.866.783.9278
Call us today for help 1.866.783.9278

What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

While most states require drivers to carry liability insurance, the Insurance Information Institute estimates that roughly 12% of drivers are uninsured. An even higher percentage of drivers may be underinsured; meaning their insurance will not cover the full amount of the damages involved in a collision.

Getting in a car accident with just one of these drivers can put you in a financial bind. Luckily, insurance providers offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to help protect you from situations such as these.

What is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

Typically in an automobile collision, the at-fault driver’s liability coverage would pay for your medical expenses and damages to your car. However, if the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, you could be left to pay these bills on your own… unless you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

These two types of coverage could be sold separately, or your insurance provider may bundle them together. This insurance is optional in most states, however some states (such as North Carolina and South Carolina) may legally require it.

Uninsured and underinsured coverage generally offers two types of protection:

  • Bodily injury: covers damages directly relating to your injuries. This could include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  • Property damage: covers repairs to your vehicle after the collision, but may also cover other property damage such as your house or personal items in the vehicle with you.

If you have been involved in a serious auto accident, negotiating a fair settlement is best left to a professional personal injury lawyer. If you live in North Carolina or South Carolina, look no further than the attorneys at Stewart Law Offices for a South Carolina car accident legal representation. Contact us online to get started with a free case evaluation, or call (866) 783-9278.

More Motor Vehicle Collision FAQs

Awards & Certifications