When you have been injured at work, you need stewart law offices
How to choose an attorneyFree & Confidential Consultation
How To Choose a North Carolina Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Most North Carolina employees are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits if they’ve been hurt on the job. Unfortunately, employers and their insurers can make accessing these benefits difficult. If you’re having trouble obtaining workers’ compensation benefits in North Carolina, it’s time to talk to an experienced attorney.
There’s no question that the workers’ compensation process is complicated. There are many deadlines and procedures that must be followed in order to receive compensation. Missing a detail along the way can result in delays and denials that you don’t need — especially when you’re trying to get back on your feet again. A knowledgeable North Carolina workers’ compensation attorney can help you navigate the claims process and avoid potential obstacles that could hold up your claim.
Wondering what to look for in a good North Carolina workers’ compensation attorney? Let Stewart Law Offices help. Read on to learn how to hire the best attorney to meet your needs and wishes. Or if you want help right away, call or contact our Charlotte office to schedule a free consultation.
What A Good Workers’ Compensation Attorney Can Do For You
A top-quality workers’ compensation attorney can handle all the legwork of your workers’ compensation claim, including:
Building a strong claim
If the initial workers’ compensation claim that you submit is solid, then you’re more likely to get the support you need in a timely way. To build a viable case, you need to provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate the severity your injuries and establish that they are work-related. Without this evidence, your claim could be denied.
A good workers’ compensation attorney can help you fulfill all notification requirements to your employer and the N.C. Industrial Commission. An attorney can also assist with gathering medical records and other information about the nature of your injuries and their long-term impact on your life.
If needed, a well-prepared attorney will be able to consult outside physicians and vocational specialists who can testify about the ways that your injury impacts your ability to work. He or she can also gather statements from your family and friends about the ways your injuries have affected your daily life.
Negotiating on your behalf
After the claim is submitted and accepted, your employer’s insurance company will begin providing you with benefits. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney will help you navigate those benefits and make sure you are receiving everything you are entitled to.
At the end of your claim, a skilled workers’ comp attorney can use his or her knowledge and experience to work towards a remedy that will allow you to move forward with your life.
Fighting for your rights
If your initial application for workers’ compensation is denied or you’re unable to reach a fair settlement, a skilled workers’ compensation attorney will be able to guide you through the appeals process and represent you in all hearings and proceedings.
Finding An Attorney You Can Trust
There are a number of strategies that you can use to find a trustworthy workers’ compensation attorney. Here are some tips:
Ask friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers for recommendations. They might be able to suggest an attorney who has helped them or someone they know.
Contact the N.C. Bar. Use the “Finding a Lawyer” tool online to locate workers’ compensation attorneys in your area.
Search online to find listings of local law firms. Be smart in evaluating law firms that you find through an Internet search. Study the firm’s website to make sure its attorneys have the experience you need to tackle your case. Make sure the firm has attorneys who dedicate a good portion of their practice to workers’ compensation law.
Conduct interviews. Most workers’ compensation law firms, including Stewart Law Offices, provide free consultations. Arrange to meet with several attorneys to identify the best fit for you.
Questions To Ask A Work Injury Attorney
Some questions to ask a potential workers’ compensation attorney include:
- Do I need to hire a workers’ comp attorney? If your injury is minor and your employer agrees that your injury was work-related, then you might not need an attorney. A reputable attorney will not try to talk you into services you don’t need.
- What kind of compensation is available to me? In North Carolina, workers’ compensation benefits can cover medical expenses, wage loss, sick travel expenses (for 20 miles or more round-trip to treatment centers), and more. Your attorney should be able to estimate what your claim is worth, but keep in mind that no attorney is allowed to guarantee or promise you results.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my claim? Ask the attorney to pinpoint the merits of your case, as well as potential trouble spots. Then ask the attorney how they plan to address those weaknesses to build the most persuasive case possible.
- Who can I contact if I have questions about my case? Put a premium on attorneys who will work with you directly as often as they can.
Things To Consider When Comparing Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
Before you choose a workers’ compensation attorney, make a list of the qualities that are most important to you, and evaluate your top choices against this list. Think about these factors:
- Experience: How long has the attorney been practicing law? Do they focus on workers’ compensation law? How many cases have they handled?
- Results: You want an attorney with a proven track record of positive results. A qualified attorney should be able to give you a sample of the results they’ve achieved in past cases, as well as testimonials from past clients.
- The firm’s values: Any law firm will tell you that they want to help you win your case, but it’s important to look at how they’ll treat you along the way. Ask about how they plan to keep you informed about the progress of your case.
- Resources: While an individual attorney’s skills are important, the outcome of many cases also depends on the attorney’s access to additional resources. For example, do they have a network of third-party consultants that they can rely on to testify to support your case? How will they investigate your case to pursue the best possible results?
- Fees: Ask about the law firm’s fee arrangement so that you understand your financial obligations.
- Your gut instinct: You need to feel certain that your attorney is truly interested in your wellbeing and helping you get the best outcome. Will you be treated like a number on a case file, or will they give you personalized attention and respect?
Ready to get your N.C. workers’ compensation claim underway? Our legal team is standing by. Call or contact Stewart Law Offices today for a free consultation.
$370 Thousand Workers' Compensation
$290 Thousand Workers' Compensation
$275 Thousand Workers' Compensation
$260 Thousand SC Workers' Compensation
$226.6 Thousand Workers' Compensation
“While my case had some quite odd turns of events, my attorney with Stewart Law Offices held firm and relentless. Stewart Law Offices will definitely go above and beyond and I’m truly grateful that they hung in there and fought for me.” - Rebecca P.
“I felt powerless and overwhelmed by the situation I was in. When I made the phone call to the Stewart Law office it changed everything!” - Andrew R.
“ fought like they were the ones who had their lives turned around till the end. Explained everything and included a few laughs. As I said an all-around great team of lawyers and a silver lining to a very bad experience!” - David J.
Why Stewart Law Offices Is Right For You
At Stewart Law Offices, we know that a workplace injury or illness can take a serious financial toll. That’s why we’re committed to helping eligible North Carolina employees obtain the full and fair amount of workers’ compensation benefits that they are entitled to by law. Our law firm is committed to providing customized legal services to all of our clients. We recognize that every workers’ compensation case is unique, and we will tailor our approach to meet your individual needs.
When you work with Stewart Law Offices, you get:
- Skilled workers’ compensation attorneys with excellent negotiating skills;
- Aggressive attorneys with experience representing clients in front of the N.C. Industrial Commission;
- Preparation of all documents for your workers’ compensation claim;
- Timely filing so your claim is not dismissed on a technicality;
- High-quality legal services in a family atmosphere;
- Responsive and reliable client communication;
- No fee unless we win compensation for you.