Being the victim of a hit and run accident can leave you hurt, angry, confused, and with a mountain of bills. While you may be disoriented, it is important to be cognizant of the actions you take immediately following the accident. Taking the right steps could help you track down the responsible driver and secure the compensation you deserve.
Here are six steps you should take following a hit and run accident, courtesy of the personal injury attorneys at Stewart Law Offices:
- Recollect the details. Try to remember everything you can about the car that hit you, including the color, make, model, and state license plate. Write these details down so you don’t forget later.
- Take photographs. A picture is worth a thousand words, and is usually weighted more heavily than a verbal testimony in the court of law. Take pictures from as many angles as you can, making sure not to alter any of the evidence.
- Contact law enforcement. It’s always a good idea to contact local law enforcement after any kind of automobile accident. The police report could come in handy later if your claim goes to trial. Plus, some states legally require it.
- Get the medical attention you need. If you have been seriously injured, get professional help as soon as possible. Make sure to keep copies of all appointments, medical bills, prescriptions, and doctor’s notes.
- Know how to speak to insurance adjusters. If you are contacted by an insurance adjuster, stick to the facts and avoid saying things such as, “I’ll be fine,” or “I should have seen him coming.” The person on the other end of the phone may sound friendly, but they will do anything they can to minimize your payout – don’t give them any ammunition.
- Consult a personal injury attorney. Don’t plead with your insurance company for a small settlement. An experienced personal injury attorney can review your case, assemble supporting evidence, and secure the full amount of compensation you are entitled to.
If you have been the victim of a hit and run in North Carolina or South Carolina, the personal injury attorneys at Stewart Law Offices are here for you in your time of need. Contact us online to get started with a free case consultation, or call us anytime at 866-783-9278.