Did you know that more than two million Americans are injured in car accidents every year? Whether you are going around the corner or on a cross-country adventure, don’t leave home without these tried and tested driving tips from your friends at Stewart Law Offices:
- Always keep your attention on the road. According to the CDC, distracted driving is responsible for more than 1,000 injuries every day. Distracted driving can be visual (taking your eyes of the road), manual (taking your hands off the wheel), or cognitive (taking your mind off driving).
- Never drive under the influence. When you drink and drive, you are endangering the lives of yourself, your passengers, and every other driver on the road. Not to mention you risk losing thousands of dollars in fines and potential jail time.
- Buckle your seatbelt and check your mirrors before putting the car in gear. You should do these two things before you even turn your car on. These safety measures only take a second of your time and could save your life one day.
- Avoid driving when you are tired. Driving while tired, or “drowsy driving” is equally as risky as drunk driving, and even more dangerous when you consider its prevalence. A 2005 study showed that 37% of drivers have admitted to dozing off behind the wheel.
- Use caution when switching lanes. Check your rear- and side-view mirrors, use your turn signal, and always look over your shoulder to double check your blind spot when merging lanes.
- Take breaks as needed. If you are driving a long distance, don’t go more than two hours without taking a short break. Even if you don’t feel tired, pull over at a rest stop, take a quick walk, and grab a small snack. It seems simple, but it will do wonders for keeping you awake and alert.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, don’t waste any time seeking recovery for your damages. Medical bills can quickly rack up following a car wreck, and they often exceed the coverage of the at-fault driver. Combine this with lost income due to time off from work, and it is easy to see how a car accident can become a huge financial burden on your family.
Luckily, help is available from Stewart Law Offices, LLC. Our personal injury attorneys have the knowledge and experience needed to secure the compensation you need and deserve after a car wreck. If you live in North or South Carolina, contact us online or give us a call at 888-286-5600.