Beaufort Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents are the most common cause of death in South Carolina. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, South Carolina’s 1.88 deaths per 100 million miles driven is the country’s highest fatality rate – almost twice the national average.
If you’ve been hurt in an accident, turn to the Beaufort** car accident attorneys at Stewart Law Offices. We have extensive experience helping people who have been hurt in car accidents caused by reckless or negligent actions of another person or party. We’re ready to put our knowledge and skill to work for you.
You deserve quality legal representation to seek the compensation that you need to pay your medical bills and support yourself and your family. Don’t wait. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation by calling us. You can also fill out a contact form or chat with us live on our website.
Common Beaufort** Car Accident Causes
The most common causes of injuries and deaths in car accidents in Beaufort** and across South Carolina include:
- Driving under the influence or alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving (cell phones and other distractions)
- Reckless driving
- Failure to yield right-of-way
- Driver fatigue
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Lack of experience
- Failure to follow traffic laws
- Mechanical failure or parts defects
- Inadequate maintenance or lack of inspections
- Blind spots
- Other driver error
In a Safewise report based on data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, South Carolina had the second-highest number of deaths (per 100,000 population) in the country that were caused by impaired drivers.
Stewart Law Offices can handle accidents that resulted from any of these forms or negligence and any others not listed.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Beaufort**
If you’re involved in wreck in or near Beaufort**, there are several important things you need to do as soon as possible:
- Don’t wait to get medical help. In a serious accident, emergency personnel should be called to the scene immediately to treat any injuries. Even if you don’t think you were seriously hurt at first, you should seek medical attention from a doctor or hospital. Some neck, spine, head, and other injuries may not surface until days or weeks later and may require long-term care.
- Give all individuals involved in the accident your name, address, contact information, license plate number, car make and model, driver’s license details and insurance information, and get a copy of theirs.
- Take pictures at the scene if you have a camera or a cell phone with one built in. Shoot as many photos as possible of the vehicles and the overall scene, including crash damage, the point of impact, road signs and markings, and any injuries you have. If you notice signs of alcohol or drugs in the other vehicle, capture that as well.
- Call the police to the scene, and be sure to get a copy of their accident report. It will include the officer’s account of the accident, as well as any citations that were issued at the scene. It may also have information about the other drivers and their insurance carriers.
- Immediately get information from any witnesses, including their contact details and a statement from them. If the police are on-scene, they should also be collecting witness statements for their report.
- Keep any bills for medical expenses and anything else related to the accident and your injuries.
- Don’t have your car repaired until your case is resolved. The visible damage to your vehicle can be the most compelling evidence in your accident claim, so it’s critical to keep your vehicle in the same condition it was in after the wreck until after your case has been resolved.
- Don’t speak with the other driver’s insurance carrier until you’ve consulted with a lawyer first. Decline to give them a statement or sign anything until you’ve received legal advice from your lawyer. Insurance companies may try to talk you into making statements that will reduce their liability otherwise.
- Don’t talk about your accident, injuries or case publicly. Be especially wary of posting any photos or comments on social media, including any pictures that imply you’re feeling okay if you have injuries from the accident.
If you need to file an injury claim against a negligent driver or another party, you should hire Stewart Law Offices as soon as possible. It can be challenging to prove fault in a car accident. That’s why it’s vital to hire an attorney who can build a persuasive case, conduct a detailed investigation, collect additional evidence, and negotiate with the insurance companies for a settlement on your behalf.
The amount of time you have after the accident to file an injury claim in Beaufort** is within three years of the date of the accident, according to South Carolina Code of Laws section 15-3-530. The time period is different in different states, so be sure to verify this with your attorney.
Building a Case for Compensation after an Auto Accident
All drivers are responsible for the safety of their passengers and others on the road. If they drive recklessly, carelessly, or under the influence, they could be held liable for any injuries they cause.
When individuals are injured or killed in a car accident, the driver and several other parties could be held responsible and be subject to a personal injury claim in Beaufort. The manufacturer of either vehicle could be liable if defects caused the accident or made the damages worse than they otherwise would have been. This also applies to repairs made to either vehicle by dealers or other automobile service companies. If either vehicle is a rental car, the rental company could also be responsible for the accident if they failed to properly inspect, maintain, and repair the rented vehicle to ensure that it’s roadworthy. If the road design or surface contributed to the accident, government agencies responsible for road construction or maintenance might be liable.
Because multiple parties could share liability for your injuries or the death of your loved one, it is crucial to have an experienced car accident attorney in Beaufort** evaluate your case and discuss your legal options with you right away. We can conduct a complete and independent investigation, consult with medical personnel and other analysts, and make sure that vital evidence is preserved.
If your attorney can prove that a driver or another responsible party did not act in a reasonably safe way and their actions resulted in you being harmed, you may have the right to seek compensation that could include:
- Short-term and long-term medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost earning capacity
- Lost wages from time missed at work
- Rehabilitation and medical devices
- Repairs or replacement of damaged property
- Out of pocket expenses
- Non-economic damages such as mental anguish, emotional distress, disfigurement, and pain and suffering
In a car accident, if someone dies, the surviving family members could file a wrongful death claim for loss of financial support, funeral and burial expenses, or final medical expenses.
How Stewart Law Offices Can Help After a Car Accident in Beaufort**
After a car accident, victims have to cope with financial stress, increasing medical bills, and emotional anguish. If they can’t return to work soon, the financial burden can become overwhelming. Thankfully our legal system allows them to seek compensation for their losses if their accident was caused by a negligent or reckless act on the part of someone else.
Our Stewart Law Offices in Beaufort**, South Carolina car accident lawyers are ready to review the details and evidence of your case and answer any questions you have during a free consultation. If you’re still recovering from your injuries and can’t come to our office, we’ll meet with you at your home or in the hospital.
We understand what you’re going through and are here to help you seek the compensation you need to support your family, move on with your life, and pay your bills. When someone’s negligence harms you, you shouldn’t have to pay for what they’ve done.
To schedule your free, confidential consultation with a car accident attorney in Beaufort**, South Carolina, call us, chat with us live, or fill out a contact form on our site right now.