Taking your personal injury case to court can be a scary and stressful time, but a little preparation can go a long way. The best thing you can do is keep calm, and follow these tips from Stewart Law Offices as you prepare for trial.
In the days leading up to your trial…
- Compile your documents. The more evidence you have on your side, the better your odds of recovery. Keep documentation of the accident, medical bills, insurance claims, and any other paperwork which may be important. Make four copies of all of these – one for yourself, the judge, court clerk, and opposing party.
- Go through a practice trial. Giving a testimony under oath can be a nerve-racking experience. Help relieve some of the tension by going over sample questions and answers with your attorney. This simple practice run could make a world of difference.
- Know what to expect. Uncertainty breeds anxiety. If you have any questions about the trial process, ask your attorney.
On the day of your trial…
- Eat a good breakfast. Even if you are not hungry, force yourself to eat a substantial breakfast – you will need the energy.
- Dress the part. Look professional and conservative, as if you were going on a job interview.
- Arrive to court early. Plan on arriving at court one hour before your trial begins. This will give you time to get through security, check in, locate your courtroom, and mentally prepare for your trial.
- Keep your composure. The courtroom is a high-stress environment, but don’t let your emotions get the best of you. Stay calm, always address the judge as “your honor”, and wait for your turn to talk. These little things can make a big difference in the eyes of the judge.
Having the right personal injury lawyer by your side could be the difference between winning your case or walking away empty handed. If you live in North Carolina or South Carolina, look no further than the attorneys at Stewart Law Offices. Call us today for a free consultation at (866) 783-9278.