Repaying Health Insurance After a Car Accident SC - Stewart Law Offices
Tap To Call: 1.866.783.9278
Call us today for help 1.866.783.9278

Do I Have to Repay My Health Insurance Company After a Car Accident in South Carolina?

In South Carolina, if you suffer injuries in a car accident, you should bill your health insurance company for your medical expenses. Medical providers often attempt to avoid going through insurance so they don’t have to pay the negotiated discounts (the amount the provider agrees to accept as full payment from the carrier), but billing your health insurance is the best plan of action. You do not want to risk having your medical bills go to collections because you are waiting for an insurance payout to settle your bills.

Your car insurance company may pay for all or part of your medical bills depending on the coverage you have and whether it’s an underinsured or uninsured claim. Your car insurance will not pay if you are at fault. If the accident is not your fault, and you max out the at-fault driver’s liability policy, then your underinsured coverage can come into play. If the at-fault driver does not have coverage, and you have uninsured motorist coverage, then your medical expenses can be covered up to the limits of your UM policy.

Your health insurer will often place a lien on the settlement that you stand to receive regardless of whether the matter goes to court or not. They must perfect their lien to attempt to collect reimbursement of what is paid. This means that once the auto insurance company agrees to pay out on your claim, your health insurer will be able to recover some or all of the payments that it made to cover the cost of your medical expenses. This is known as subrogation.

If you don’t have health insurance or have questions about this complicated topic, talk to a lawyer at Stewart Law Offices to determine the best course of action. Call us today at 866-783-9278 or visit us online at

Note: This information is for informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. You can only receive legal advice by meeting with an attorney.

More Motor Vehicle Collision FAQs

Awards & Certifications