Whether you have just received your driver’s license, or you have been driving for years, one of the most important decisions you must make is your insurance coverage. Being properly insured isn’t just financially smart, it is legally required in many states. There are many different types of auto insurances to choose from, and it can be difficult to understand what each type entails.
Luckily, the personal injury attorneys at Stewart Law Offices, LLC are here to clear up some of the confusion. In this article, we will explain some of the most common types of car insurances consumers must choose from, and what is covered by each…
- Liability insurance helps cover financial damages to other parties when you are at-fault in a car accident. Liability insurance covers both personal injury and property damage expenses up to a certain dollar amount – the rest falls on you.
- Collision coverage pays for the repairs to your own car in the event of an accident that you were responsible for. If your car is totaled (the cost of repairs exceeds the total value of your car), the insurance company will simply pay you the value of your car.
- Comprehensive coverage protects your car from non-accident-related damages, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, and more.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection comes into play if the at-fault party is not insured, or the cost of the accident exceeds their maximum liability coverage. This type of insurance is usually relatively inexpensive to add onto your plan, and can potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars in the long run.
- Personal injury protection covers the medical expenses for you and all of your passengers, no matter who is at fault in the car accident. Besides hospital bills, personal injury protection may also cover lost wages or funeral costs.
If you have inadequate car insurance coverage, you may be left with a mountain of medical bills to pay on your own. This can be especially frustrating if the accident wasn’t your fault. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a car accident as the result of someone else’s negligence, the personal injury attorneys at Stewart Law Offices, LLC can help you recover the compensation you deserve. If you live in North Carolina or South Carolina, pick up the phone and call (888) 286-5600 to get started with a free case evaluation.