What Are Common Causes Of Boating Wrecks?
OUR ATTORNEYS PROTECT RECREATIONAL BOATERS HARMED BY OPERATOR ERROR OR DRUNK BOATING
Even though we consider boating a carefree summer activity, people can be seriously injured or killed if boaters fail to pay attention to their surroundings. In just one year, the US Coast Guard reported 4,515 boating accidents, 651 deaths, 3,000 injuries and roughly $38 million in property damage. Learning about the common causes of boating collisions can allow boaters to avoid becoming victims of these potentially deadly incidents.
THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF RECREATIONAL BOATING CRASHES
Collisions with recreational vehicles are the most common cause of injury among all types of boating accidents. Thousands of boating crashes occur each year, and a number of factors contribute to them. Some of the most common causes include the following:
- Operator Inattention – Operator inattention is the most common contributing factor to boating accidents, according to the Coast Guard. Operators must remember that staying safe is the number one priority on the water.
- Operator Inexperience – Boat operators need to know the laws about boating that can prevent injury and harm from occurring. Taking a boaters education class is an excellent first step toward gaining experience and understanding how to operate a boat safely.
- Improper Lookout – This includes both failing to appoint a lookout and the appointed lookout not keeping a close eye on the boat’s surroundings.
- Reckless Actions by Drivers, Passengers or Skiers – Even though boats operate on water, reckless actions by anyone onboard a boat can result in serious consequences.
- Equipment Failure – Just like any other vehicle, boats need regular maintenance. Failure to stay up-to-date on your boat’s maintenance could cause it to crash or capsize.
- Speeding – An open body of water may seem like the perfect place to test a boat’s speed. However, slower speeds make other boats, hazards and obstacles easier to see.
- Alcohol Use – Blood alcohol content (BAC) laws are the same for both boaters and drivers. Operating a boat with a BAC of greater than 0.08 is a criminal offense.
OUR LAWYERS STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS AFTER A BOATING ACCIDENT
These types of behavior can turn a peaceful day on the water into a nightmare. At Stewart Law Offices, LCC, our injury lawyers know that negligent boating can damage lives. Our lawyers have experience in personal injury law, including maritime law. We stand up for the rights of victims – let us work for your right to compensation.
Call our firm today for free attorney advice about boating accidents on Lake Wylie, Lake Norman or any other body of water in North Carolina or South Carolina.
Legal talk is often complex, and to the untrained ear it can sound like a completely different language. Luckily for you, the attorneys at Stewart Law Offices, LLC are here to provide simple, easy-to-understand definitions for some common legal terms which you might have heard. Acquittal: A verdict from a judge or jury that a criminal defendant is not guilty, or the evidence is insufficient to support a conviction. Admissible: Evidence is considered “admissible” if it meets all of the standards required to present it in a court of law. Affidavit: A statement (written or printed) made under oath. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): A way to settle a dispute outside of the courtroom. Most ADRs involve the help of a neutral third party, such as a mediator or arbitrator. Appeal: A request made after a trial by the losing party to have the case reviewed by a higher court. Bench Trial: A...
Stewart Law Offices, LLC is here for you when it counts. Read through this list of frequently asked questions to learn more about our firm and the legal services we provide. If you still have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 866-783-9278. What type of cases does Stewart Law Offices, LLC handle? The attorneys at Stewart Law Offices, LLC handle all facets of personal injury, including: Car accidents Drunk driving Texting while driving Motorcycle accidents Tractor trailer accidents Boating wrecks Medical malpractice Wrongful death Workers’ compensation Federal Litigation Where does Stewart Law Offices, LLC operate? Stewart Law Offices, LLC offers legal representation for injury victims across South Carolina, as well as portions in North Carolina. We currently have offices in Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Columbia, Beaufort, and Charlotte. Click here to learn more about our...
Call Anytime 24/7 for Free Consultation 888.286.5600